Thursday 5 January 2012

Why do ostriches bury their heads in the sand?

Cam asked me this today, and I didn't know, so I thought I'd better learn something about ostriches. Turns out they don't bury their heads at all. To camouflage themselves an ostrich will stretch its neck along the ground to hide and from a distance it looks like its head is buried.  I tried to find a picture online to confirm this, but sadly could only find billions of cartoony versions of ostriches burying their heads, and many of stupid humans doing the same.

I knew that ostriches could run really fast, but I also learned that ostriches kick to fight  - that would be scary.

Ostriches travel in herds, with one dominant male and female. All the females that the male mates with will lay their eggs in the same nest - the nests can hold up to 60 eggs! Imagine them all hatching at once!

Canada has an ostrich association - where for the first time I saw what ostrich steaks look like - ugh, not for me. http://www.ostrich.ca/

http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/animals/creaturefeature/ostrich/

No comments:

Post a Comment