Tuesday 3 January 2012

Where is Stromness, and what was in like in the 1800s?

Why do I want to know anything about Stromness? The truth is, I've tried to do some genealogy in the past, but I really don't have the time and patience to do it myself.  My starting point is a paper copy of the family tree I got from my uncle Don in the 1990s - he still lives in Liverpool, where my mum and dad come from. Anyway, Stromness is the birthplace of the most distant ancestor I can trace back: John George Manson Brown, born in Stromness in1857.

Stromness looks very picturesque - all stone buildings and narrow winding streets. It was neat to learn the Canadian connection too - the Hudson's Bay Company began recruiting workers in Stromness  in 1702. Whaling, fishing and boat building were . At the time my ancestor was born, only about 3000 people lived in Stromness. I wonder what it was that made my ancestor leave?

http://www.visitorkney.com/stromness/index.asp
http://www.orkneyjar.com/orkney/stromness/stromnesshistory.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment