Friday 20 January 2012

Hadley and Ernest

I just finished The Paris Wife, which I enjoyed, but I just wanted to smack Hadley towards the end where she just lets Pauline worm her way into Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway. I realize things were different and divorce was less common, but I wanted to know how realistically events were played out. I also wondered about a toss off line towards the end when she mentions Hemingway had shock treatments. I knew a lot about Hemingway from school, and a long time ago I read a biography about him, but he's not a favourite of mine.  I think I started reading Hemingway with A Moveable Feast, which is the one book of this that I really liked. The macho quality of his stories really bothers me. The most memorable thing about Hemingway and Hadley that I knew before The Paris Wife is the story of her leaving his stories in a train station, because it was implied she did the world a disservice.

After skimming several internet sites it appears they all share the same sort of info - which makes me believe that his and her private papers must be in a reference library somewhere, and have been combed over by too many people.  There are too many blogs slavishly devoted to him too.  After I read for about 10 minutes,I really didn't want to read anymore about Hemingway, because what I read didn't make me feel better about how he treated her.


http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-01/news/ct-oped-0701-hemingway-20110701_1_hadley-richardson-ernest-hemingway-marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment