Tuesday 31 January 2012

Why are there so many new "weather words"?

when I was a kid I swear there were far less words for weather than they are now. We didn't have meterologists, we had Dave Duvall, the weatherman, who had a glass screen and a piece of magic chalk. We had rain, snow, sun, partly cloudy (a catch all then and now) fog ...you get my point. I also never hear thunder in a snow storm when I was a kid. Now there are all sorts of weird weather words - Alberta Clipper, Colorado Low, tusnami, wind chill... fortunately I've found a great website where I can look up these words and determine if it's safe to go outside. I swear, they make a little rain and snow sound so dangerous now.
So, an Alberta clipper...now I know that snow storm with blowing snow....but when I was looking that up I found hundreds more scary weather words....

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/general/glosswx.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment