Monday 9 January 2012

Does a pomegrante grow on a tree or a bush?

My friend Carolyn told me I had to eat pomegranates because they're good for me, so I bought one for the first time in many years. I find them really irritating to eat because of the peel and the seeds,and the red stains they leave on clothes, but, hey, they are cheap. When I saw the giant full bin at the grocery store I imagined how heavy they'd be on the stem, and wondered what they grow on - a tree or a bush? Apparently, it's a short tree, or a shrub.  I imagine they are quite heavy when ripe though, especially if grown to today's standard with many assistive chemicals and pesticides. It turns out what they grow on isn't as interesting as how long they've been growing though...the name comes from medieval latin and means "seeded apple", but the fruit was been popular much earlier. One was found in the tomb of an Egyptian queen, from about 300BC, and the fruit also makes appearances in the Bible. One can't say the same for a kiwi or an orange.

I was nostalgic to learn that pomegranates form the basis for grenadine syrup, and was fondly reminded of many Tequila sunrises consumed in younger days, which is far from how pomegranates are promoted now, as healthful bundles of antioxidants and fibre. The FDA has not concluded that they are healthful, however, despite what POM wonderful claims.

I am much more enamored of this fruit for its mythical heritage, though. What a wonderful story - Demeter, goddess of the harvest had a daughter named Persephone, who, having been captured by Hades was tricked into eating pomegranate seeds, and thus was forever doomed to return to the underworld, leaving us plain old mortals with barren seasons where nothing would grow, which is pretty much what's happening outside my window right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment