Saturday 7 January 2012

Why are so many old farmhouses in Ontario so similar in style?

I know nothing about architecture, but I have noticed that all the little farmhouses when I drive out into the countryside of southern Ontario look remarkable similar. I got curious today if there was a name for that particular style, and if so, what was it called and how did it become popular. Fortunately, I found a great website for a visual person like myself  that had pictures of every kind of architecture style, with the names underneath. Yeah! Unfortunately the site has many scary warnings about copying it, parts or it, or even referring to it, so I can't include its address here in case internet gestapo come after me and demand a pound of flesh.

So, anyway, today I learned about "Gothic Revival", but I will be sure to go back to this site to learn more about the other styles of building there are in Ontario. Anyone interested in finding the website can google that, and it will pop up, but (nudge nudge, wink wink) you didn't hear about it here.

The houses are called gothic revival cottages, and probably became so popular because the plans for building them were published in something called the Canadian Farmer periodical.in the 1860s.

No comments:

Post a Comment